Sunday 2 May 2021

How to care personally

Questions have been asked how to tell someone that they need to take better care of their hygiene. I have always assumed how people perceived me because of my appearances and presentation. It brings back memories when someone gave me the bitter pill; you smell, go wash up, shave your armpits and put on some perfume. I did not understand it, because I had had a shower that morning and it was mid-morning already, I did not think I was due for another shower until night. Okay I have a few hairs on the armpits that I prefer them in their natural state-since I heard that once you shave the virgin hairs the secondary or tertiary growth grows ‘haphazardly’. Clearly, I was not affected by my natural fumes, and I took offence that someone had trespassed into my privacy and insinuate that I am not doing a good job taking care of myself. Then I noticed that it was not only one person who felt that way because the door had been opened for others to approach me on the same issue. I had to make a choice, getting shunned or accept to be corrected. I not only shaved my armpits but I got advice on which soaps and deodorant to use. From my experience, people can put up with a bad thing for some time before they gain the courage to take a stand and change the situation. Some relationships have had to be cut off since a partner cannot raise their standards in body management from smelly breath or smelly feet, unkempt hair, sweat, untidiness or dirty laundry. I remember I had a partner who had bad mouth odor while I maintained my private bushes. Neither of us communicated to the other their concerns, we did not last long. When in my early years into puberty, our school started making hygiene checks, mostly on ladies by looking if they had clean underwear, uniform, shiny shoes or lacked lice on their hair. It was embarrassing when we came out of the searching room and the boys would tease us. We had to learn the hard way some things that our moms could not discuss with us or which we lacked proper guidance from home.It may be easier to make a comment on one’s neatness or joke about cleanliness but it is not easy to change someone’s attitude and habits on how not to commit crimes against hygiene.  Breaking to a close member that they need to check on their hygiene standards is not surely an easy task and could make or break personal ties. I will try research on the matter, “Assessing how to lovingly tell someone …” You can fill in the details. I still do not know how to say it, not to a fully grown adult, not without sounding rude or being harsh. I can tell a child to hit the showers or change into clean clothes and command them to brush their teeth, but how do I tell this youth?

No comments:

Post a Comment